Wednesday 18 April 2007

Enkhbayar, Leeds University, Marmite

Wednesday 18th April
Trawling the net (pretty much unsuccessfully) for any news of President Enkhbayar's current visit to the UK, I did at least stumble across this interview on the Leeds University website which took place during Enkhbayar's last visit to the UK.

He speaks very enthusiastically about his time in Leeds (which was in 1986 rather than the 1990s as Wikipedia led me to misinform you), how he loved the access he had to the University library which enabled him for the first time to read the works of "Soviet dissidents and European intellectuals". He translated into Mongolian short stories by Charles Dickens, Virginia Woolf, Rudyard Kipling and - his particular favourite - Aldous Huxley.

"My time at Leeds was a time of reflection. It opened my eyes, and helped me to embrace the changes that happened to my country in 1990[...] And Leeds is the city where I discovered Marmite."

1 comments:

The Olson's said...

Great blog! The reason I'm looking at your site is because we are looking at teaching Engish in Mongolia next year.